Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bangladesh-sick day and field day Category: Travel and Places 25/2/07 Biral/Dinjapur Bangladesh Compared to SE Asia, Bangladesh is such a hard, tough and male dominated society. I find it saddens me because of the lack of reaction you get from giving a simple smile- blank empty eyes. But just thinking about it now, this kind of environment makes love and kindness seem so amazing, so strong when it is revealed. When someone does smile, it is so much more to appreciate here. Today, out in the field visiting the ladies groups as a part of the HRDP project, they really touched me. Not their stand-offish fascination with white people, but their deep and expressive eyes and smiles which cover up lives we couldn't even imagine. Struggling to find somewhere enough food to give their families at least one meal a day; working hard to keep the house spotless in case God comes and their house isn't found messy; trying to save their kids from dying from simple curable health conditions like diahorrea and dehydration. This was before ADRA came to their villiage. They still struggle but their condition of living had improved so much and they are not living a hand-to-mouth lifestyle any more. They are able to save minute amounts of money, well, in our eyes, to prepare for a crisis in the future so they are not left bound to a high charging money lender. My memory of the day was when we were leaving the second group we visited, quite a poor one, and I was pulling faces and playing with the kids who were following a few feet behind me, and holding out my hand to see which one was daring enough to take it (It's a hand-holding culture, as a sign of friendship), a young girl around the age of 15 came through the group and boldly took my hand and led me on, back to the car through the walkways between the mud brick houses and cows and chickens. Its hard to describe the feeling of being accepted temporarily into a culture like that, kind of a peaceful joy brought to me by someone who knows the struggles and realities of life so much more then I do, she was young but I felt like the child being led by an adult. I felt I had so much to learn from this girl with broken English but not a broken smile. So many goats. So many ducks. So many cows. So much hard labour. Too many near misses. So much to take in. Adra office, WDO meeting, shawakamise shopping and tailoring, power going off all the time, saying goodbye to groups by having to touch everyone's hands. 28/2/07 No diary entry yesterday because I spent the entire night before vomiting and having diahorrea from food poisoning I got from eating two grapes and a little apple-like thing, all of which I shouldn't have eaten. Bythe morning, my bathroom visits had pretty much stopped, but the entire rest of the day was just as bad because I felt so sick and tired and exceedingly faint. I slept all morning and at 2pm tried to toughen up and go to see the drama show that the project ran out in the field. About 25 mins into the puppet show and music, I couldn't even sit up cos I was so weak and faint, not having eaten all day and still dehydrated. So I asked to lie down in the car for a bit but they took me home, via the doctor, I felt bad about making everyone leave. I told them I didn't need to go to the doctor, that I would just sleep it off and be better the next ay, but they took me anyway. The doctor was funny, he was like 'you have no problem, no bad condition, it is good for you to experience what my people have to struggle with every week'… it was funny. Went home and slept and each hour I would wake up all through the night to drink saline solution or try to eat something, like forcing down a spoonful of cold rice. Learnt a lot about what to do if I ever got in that way again…which I no doubt will. At the puppet drama there was a lovely 16 yr old boy who stayed by my side all the time, he could speak some English, which was good. I'm so glad I feel much better today, will put in a good productive effort. Can also try on my shawakamises that I bought and someone dropped off to me today. I bought an orange one and a black one. They are beautiful. The drama was very effective because it drew a large crowd and educated the people in a humorous way. Lots of songs and laughter about what foods are good and why you need to be healthy, but the one yesterday was about the importance of saving money for an unexpected time of crisis in the future so they don't end up getting financially indebted to a local money lender. The title was 'dowri' and the puppets wer sary looking! Haha. 1/3/07 Yesterday was great! I woke up feeling quite well and functional, but still totally non-appetitious! (I made up a word) Went to two more groups today, one of them a sewing class. Came back for lunch at the ADRA office, careful not to touch the fruit this time… After lunch we went upstairs to present the sewing course certificates to those who had completed it, shook their hands, took a photo, you know the scene. Irene, one of the WDO's (Women Development Officers) came up to me and gave me a beautiful black hair clip that she had for me, and I treasured it. The others then rushed up to me and painted a dot on my forehead like the Hindu women have, and fussed over me. Had a long photo session with each of the WDO's then we all moved downstairs where as soon as I walked in the door I noticed all of the WDO's in one room, beckoning me to come in secretly. As I came closer, one reached out and grabbed my hand, pulling me inside and they shut the door behind me. They were all so giggly and whispering excitedly, and as one of them latched the door, latched the men out, they all erupted into laughter and shouts and in their broken English they were saying to me 'Sing! Sing! Lets sing and dance!' so they started singing and gestured for me to dance, but I had no idea how to dance like them and so another two ladies started traditional dancing, which was so cool!!! I was copying them and they were all laughing at me, adding my own alterations and moves. By the way they were laughing, I'm guessing what they were doing was a bit secretive and sneaky but so fun. I was imagining Alan and they guys outside wondering what the heck was going on inside, LOL! After about 10 minutes of song and dance I said I had to go because we were pushed for time, and they all urged me to please come again in exactly a year, no, come to live!! Haha. I gave them all a NZ hug (pretty much teaching them how to hug unawkwardly, which they found funny…in Bangladesh the only affection they show is holding hands with everyone). It was an experience I will never forget, the hidden joy of Bangladeshi women, normally subdued by such a harsh culture. And I was able to be a part of it for a short time. As soon as the door opened they quietened right down and we all said a sad but happy goodbye. It really touched me. That afternoon we took a trip out to a small but amazing temple made out of bricks,each one individually carved to tell a story. Then when we got back, Alan and I went for a rickshaw ride into town and bought some food. Ok, so I admit I bought instant baby food porridge stuff because I was desperate for something that did not have curry or oil in it!!! Went back to my room, ate, watched an episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun until the power cut off, and went to bed. I was tired anyway.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It sounds like you are having some awesome experiences, except for getting sick and vomitting. Two grapes and an apple pie thingy, huh?